homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 15:21:19 -0400

Bill Jones wrote:
you only have to step over the Oregon border into California into Del
Norte and Humboldt Counties or travel west of you to the Coos Bay
area or northwest to get plenty of rain year round. Certainly not
500 miles away.

This is a dream. There's no rain happening "year 'round" in Coos
Bay. The stats are online. South of here it's only drier.

I don't think there's anyplace in the continental US that gets
consistent rain year round. It's up to us to manage rainwater
collection during the rainy season(s) to make up for the dry seasons.

There's no water from snowmelt at my place, nor anywhere in the Coast
Range.

I've seen the Coast Range in May. I've crossed it several years going
to my Dad's place in Astoria. I driven down the coast and looked to the
east. There was snow on the peaks. Why is there no snowmelt? I find
this hard to believe.
If I recall from the kudzu discussion, you get about 40 inches of rain a
year...that seems like plenty to me, certainly more than places like on
the Front Range of Colorado get. Also, aren't there natural springs in
the Coast Range? I just don't see how you can say this...certainly, the
Hoh River in Washington state is supplied by snow and glacial melt, and
Mt. Olympus is in the Coast Range, is it not?
For it to be as dry as you describe it, it looked awful green to me, so
water is coming from somewhere,,,,maybe fog, maybe springs if not snowmelt.

Bill, you seem to not like the climate of where you live. Perhaps you
are in a drier microclime than your surrounding area, but certainly you
knew this before you set up a homestead there?

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky