homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:22:06 -0700

Bill, Bill, Bill. Pasture land does NOT have to be green to be a good pasture. I'm thinking your experience with pasture is not IRL. You need to get over this obsession with "green," because that is not the end all of what a pasture is. In fact, spring green grass is worthless as far as nutritional value is concerned. It's nothing but water.

Now, as to where I live, I simply can't figure where you get all these weird notions. Let's try this one more time. I've lived my whole life on the COAST! That would be with the Coastal Range to the east of me. NOW I live IN the Coastal Range. I don't live in the central anything.

O.K., so here's a little geography lesson. Trinity County is all hills and mountains. The lowest point is the Trinity River at about 1300 feet above sea level. In fact, the only valley in the whole county is where the wide space in the road known as Hayfork is located! Less than 10% is privately owned and the rest is national forest. They say if you ironed the county out flat it would be bigger than Texas <g> That's a lot of hills and mountains!

Thompson Peak is about 9,000' and Mt. Eddy is at 9037' and they are in what is known as the Trinity ALPS. That would be because you can go cross-country skiing and because they have snow on them 12 months of the year except once in a blue moon after a few years of extreme drought with high heat. And it takes both drought AND high heat. We have ALPINE lakes up here. And if you look at Upper Caribu you see where the glaziers are still running down into the lake. http://users.snowcrest.net/wb6fzh/tcmtnl3.html Some of them too cold to swim in and people drown because they are hypothermic within a minute or two of falling in the water.

And then there is the "little" mountain I look at out my kitchen window, Hayfork Bally at 6256'.

Now if you head over to the other side of "our" little mountains, you get to the tail end of the Cascades and there is Mt. Lassen to the east of us at 10,462 and Mt. Shasta to the north of us at 14,162, which you can see from Thompson, btw. To the south of us is Tehama County with Brokeoff Mtn at 9235. And for you folks who collect odd ball geography facts and trivia, Mt. Lassen is in Shasta County, not Lassen County and Mt. Shasta is in Siskiyou County, not Shasta County <g>

Now you can't get much more coastal than Humboldt County and they have Salmon Mtn at 6962 and Del Norte, again very coastal (think tsunami of 64) and just south of you, has Bear Mtn at 6410.

So, I don't know what your point of reference was about "less than 5,000'" but I'm thinking you got a wrong number there somehow.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

"Coast Range" is poorly defined where you are. In Oregon's Willamette
Valley or California's Central Valley, the hills on the west side are
called the Coast Range (to distinguish them from the the real mountains,
the Cascades and the Sierras, on the east side of the valleys).
Generally these are midget mountains under 5000 ft., so there's no
glacier atop them. Olympus is somewhat taller and almost in Canada, so
it has a glacier. What's the tallest mountain in your county?

Bill
S. Oregon coast