homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:04:55 -0700

Lynda wrote:

July (.51), Aug. (.88),

That's not nearly enough to keep grass green. Maybe it's just that I'm color-blind, or something.

There is plenty of water from snowmelt from the Coastal Range. I LIVE in the Coastal Range! Del Norte and Humboldt are about shoved into the ocean by the Coastal Range. They get plenty of snowmelt! The Coastal Range as a whole averages 40" of rain a year plus snow. All those resevoirs and rivers are only there because of the snowmelt. Where in the world did you get such a ludicrous idea as there is no snowmelt from the Coastal Range?

It could be that our tallest Mountain in the county is too short to have any serious glacial snowmelt.

And, having lived in all those places, I am sticking to what I know. AND I also know that you choose where you live. If you didn't do your homework, oh well. However, it was a choice and you bitch and moan continually about it. If you don't like it, then sell and move!

This place is heaven, compared to S. California. I guess theoretical discussions of people cope in dry areas are just beyond you. I'd never leave the West Coast, and no one wants to freeze either.

If you look at this map you'll see that every place you go out west, there's less than one inch of rain for all of July. That's one-quarter the amount it takes to keep gardens and pastures green (generally accepted to be about an inch per week).

.http://www.timart.be/img/main/climate2.gif

Definitely, stick with what you know.

Bill
S. Oregon coast