homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:40:37 -0700

Bill, you live in one little bitty tiny piece of land. Your land is not "THE" west. The west included thousands of acres of land that aren't like your miserable little piece.

Nor is Coos County "THE" west. There are plenty of areas where there is plenty of grassland in the West.

Get over thinking you or your little piss ant piece is THE West.

BTW, you the numbskulls in Oregon hadn't attempted to clear cut the whole blooming state, those trees would still be there to hold onto cloud cover and RAIN. You know, that stuff that makes things green.

BTW, I do NOT live "inland." I live in the Coastal Range and I lived my whole life on the coast.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

What nonsense. Are you really in the Beltway or NY somewhere?

No, only 98% of Coos County was tree covered. Conifers are here because
of the their ability to withstand alternating cold and drought. Why
would nature necessarily have the ability to substitute good grassland
where conifers prefer to grow, when open grassland is simply not as
drought-tolerant as conifer forest? Isn't that a "nature will always
provide" fantasy?

Would those be snowfed acres? Great, but who cares? I won't live inland.

Of course the hay can come from your own land. The more acres you own,
the briefer the interval can be, between winter white and summer brown.
Without modern equipment you'd have nothing. By contrast, we expect to
be able to provide a serving of lamb daily each for two people with
almost no feeding at all, on only 2 cleared acres.

Find me an "appropriate grass" that will stay green for the summer with
no rain. Please also tell us also what to "do" to unirrigated high
ground to stop it from looking like Livermore in summer.

Oregon is looks like a nuclear disaster area in a whole lot of areas, so
what would one expect.

Pity them, that's the land my neighbors have got. Mine's lucky to have
some water flow too. But conifers don't generate "soil" anyway, so it
doesn't matter much, except that there's no water to improve the soil
through organic means.

If you weren't such a dolt you'd be able to figure out that I've been
citing my own reasons for concurring with Tvo's endorsement of
sylviculture. Why not grow up?

Bill
S. Oregon coast

P. S. -- It's raining!!!!!