homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 23:22:41 -0400

Bill Jones wrote:
Is it
that difficult for YOU to find a patch of deciduous leaf litter?

Nope. I live in a deciduous oak-hickory forest (only about 25% pine, I'm guessing) so I have leaf litter in abundance. It's the pine needles I have to really work for.

I once heard an anecdote from a fellow who was growing tomatoes using a mulch of cypress. It turned out he had solid chalk in Spain. It's interesting to hear that nightshades, of all things, thrive in well-limed softwood materials, but I always wondered if his success continued, and which other plants could be grown that way. It's a great research project for anyone with the time, but I'm usually growing them the best way I know how, rather than experimenting with the unknown.

I don't know. I always add lime to the hole when I plant tomatoes and peppers. They love it.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky