homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:49:57 -0700

At 10/15/2006 01:04 PM,Bill Jones wrote:

I really dislike general terms like "out west", reminds me of someone telling me "it never snows in California" and I know they are thinking of Hollywood & SoCal in general. I often ask them if they were ever in Modoc county in the winter...

With that said just what "west" are you referring to? I just checked and on the 15th of July 2006 we'd already had 0.26" of rain. http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KWASHELT3&day=15&year=2006&month=7
I'm not too far from the Pacific Ocean so I'd feel pretty safe saying I'm in the "west" and we did have more than a quarter inch of rain in July. <Shrug>, no rain at all in Aug.

Like I said I really dislike 'general' terms for something like this but can't really think of another way to put it either.
http://drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html is a site I keep up with, not sure why. It does look dry in a lot of places

There are a LOT of different climates out "west", can you think of a way to be more specific?

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA

I guess theoretical
discussions of people cope in dry areas are just beyond you. I'd never
leave the West Coast, and no one wants to freeze either.

If you look at this map you'll see that every place you go out west,
there's less than one inch of rain for all of July. That's one-quarter
the amount it takes to keep gardens and pastures green (generally
accepted to be about an inch per week).

.http://www.timart.be/img/main/climate2.gif

Definitely, stick with what you know.

Bill