homestead - Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:20:01 -0700

Gene GeRue wrote:

Rob: Nature is a complex balance, it's really hard to say what is needed
and what is not.

Nothing is needed.

The earth will disappear into a swollen sun eventually, so nothing we do matters. This may be, but it's too broad to lead anywhere as an ethical principle. I like to look at it in terms of conditional statements. If you want oxygen, then you need abundant plants. If you want your cake to succeed, then you need to have the oven at 350. If you want ---, then you need wolves. I could fill in the blank humorously with "to die" or "less deer" but seriously, I can't help but think that the real answer is "a petting zoo for city people" to enjoy. Even if it's a good idea, I don't see how it carries the same weight as other environmental concerns, such as our need for oxygen.

Since this is clearly happening without the "consent of the governed," and they're spending a bundle on it, I'd prefer to do as my mom would have said: "Let's not and say we did."

Bill
S. Oregon coast