homestead - Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:40:06 -0700

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

If there is nothing to eat the insects life will soon
become unbearable, or do you propose bringinb back
DDT?

Of course animals are valuable to us in lots of ways. I meant that the basic pattern of plant growth on earth, the major thing that provides us oxygen and makes it a nice place to live, does not depend on any land animals. For millions of years, there were land plants but no large land animals. Plants have various ways to get the things they need without animals. And even if they did "need" large animals to exhale on them and poop around their roots, it's doubtful they could distinguish which species of animal was doing it.

Why isn't peoples need to see animals sufficiant
reason for conservation?

I think the same ethical arguments apply as in everyday life. If I can help some critter, without going too much out of my way to do so, then I should. But if the many are harmed in a tangible way to sate what is really an emotional need for the few, then not.

Bill
S. Oregon coast