homestead - Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:53:28 -0700

Lynda wrote:

Where "up North"?

I know folks in the Yellowstone area and the NM and AZ areas can apply to the Bailey's Fund.

That's the especially pretty blue-eyed one, right?

I think the interesting point that ranchers like to ignore is that with the reintroduction of the wolves, which largely feed on elk and very small game btw, is that the coyote population has been severely reduced. *Most* sheep looses are due to coyote predition and the wolves have put a dent into those looses.

Wolves are plain old dogs. They breed freely with each other. What's the difference between feral German shepherds and wolves? You might as well be asking them to take away dog catchers. I'm amused when people try to tell me how plain, old _dogs_ are so picky that they don't try for sheep.

With the coyote problem, it would seem that sheep ranchers would have already had the dogs. The ones out here sure do. And a big part of the loose problem isn't coyotes or wolves, it is plain old-fashioned dogs! Precious and FiFi who wouldn't so such a thing were responsible for almost every calf, lamb and foal kill we had!

So those of us who've never lost an animal to predators have a desperate need to introduce wolves to keep that from happening?

Bill
S. Oregon coast