homestead - Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:34:15 -0700

Where "up North"?

I know folks in the Yellowstone area and the NM and AZ areas can apply to the Bailey's Fund.

I think the interesting point that ranchers like to ignore is that with the reintroduction of the wolves, which largely feed on elk and very small game btw, is that the coyote population has been severely reduced. *Most* sheep looses are due to coyote predition and the wolves have put a dent into those looses.

With the coyote problem, it would seem that sheep ranchers would have already had the dogs. The ones out here sure do. And a big part of the loose problem isn't coyotes or wolves, it is plain old-fashioned dogs! Precious and FiFi who wouldn't so such a thing were responsible for almost every calf, lamb and foal kill we had! We bought Russian Wolfhounds for just that reason when we had sheep. Fast, silent and deadly accurate on dogs and they never chased or worried the cattle, sheep or horses.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>

In my past, as a sheep farmer, I corresponded at some length with a sheep
farmer up North, who had to deal with re-introduced wolves. She called them
the government's wolves. The government brought them in and then failed to
compensate farmers for their inevitable losses. To contend that wolf
re-introduction costs little is to ignore the farmer. In order to continue
farming, the sheep farmer had to get a large pack of sheep guardian dogs.
One or two could not keep the wolves at bay. I believe she told me they had
to have 7 or 8 of the large dogs. These dogs are not cheap to acquire,
and they are not free to maintain. This is a cost, an added burden, borne by
a farmer who is not of unlimited wealth and resources.