homestead - Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 20:55:48 -0700

Well, using that as a basis, you should be going out of your way to help the wolf <g> Very few are harmed by the wolves, if indeed the harm is by wolves. Most of it is typical hysterical not based in fact.

I see the same hysteria by folks who move out here from the city -- "OMG, we need fish and game to come out and kill all the mountain lions. I can't go walking in the woods at night." Well, stay the hell out of the woods at night. That's a no brainer! OR, here's a novel idea, get a large dog and don't go walking in the woods at night without the dog. The big cats don't like large dogs and generally give them a wide berth. Up here on our mountain you don't see the mountain lions or any tracks because all four of the last four properties all have at least two large dogs. They stay down at the bottom end of the road where folks have no dogs or have FiFi's.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

I think the same ethical arguments apply as in everyday life. If I can
help some critter, without going too much out of my way to do so, then I
should. But if the many are harmed in a tangible way to sate what is
really an emotional need for the few, then not.

Bill
S. Oregon coast