homestead - [Homestead] Pears out the wazoo

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Pears out the wazoo
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:21:02 -0400

If I see one more pear today, I think I will turn into one. This
morning we picked all the remaining pears that were on the tree. Some
of them weighed over a pound! Mostly, they were dead ripe, almost like
apples with no grit and a soft texture. My neighbor and I canned them
all morning and early afternoon. I'm keeping 7 quarts and she's got
seven. We also made pear syrup and each got a quart of that!
I also have both dehydrators running full bore with cinnamon-sugared
pears. I probably have another 20 pounds of pears left, but those are
going to be dried. I'll take the prettiest ones for a fresh pear salad
tonight with dinner(It's just pears, grated cheddar and a dollup of mayo
with a cherry on top sitting on a bed of lettuce) The only thing I hate
about food preservation is the cleanup. I can't seem to make jams or
preserves without getting a coat of sticky syrup all over me and
everything else. I suppose I am just a messy cook.
Tonight we're having tuna steaks for dinner, sauteed homegrown shiitake
mushrooms, homemade mac and cheese and the pear salad. It's kind of a
hodge podge meal, but oh well. My back is killing me from standing at
the counter all day, and I still have work to do. We'll probably bop
rabbits after dinner-more standing. After that, we'll sand the canoe a
bit to get ready to put another coat of varnish on the seats and decks
and paddles. (more standing) I may let Ron work solo on the canoe tonight.
When these pears are dry, I'll start slicing up more for the next round
of drying. I've been trying to eat more oats, especially oatmeal, and
adding dried pears to it will increase the fiber and give me my fruit
jumpstart on the day. My HDL was really low, 30, so I am trying to raise
it by eating more oats. My total cholesterol was okay at 165, so I just
need to raise the HDL.
If I could figure out a way to cook oats with sardines and pears, I'd
have it made! ROTFL!

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky