homestead - Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 14:33:54 -0400

We had as many as nine bucks and one doe in the field the other night, the
most we'd ever had at one time, eating what was left of rotten apples tossed
to the field. The deer will only leave when you get within twenty feet of
them, otherwise they could care less. Our live-in client thinks we have a
Deer Zoo, he might be right. The youngest buck was a four-pointer, but we
observed mostly six and one eight-pointer. Hope we snag one of those this
year for our freezer. Apple-fed venison, yum!

We have much of the same wild life that everyone else has. In or around the
pond we have turtles (box and snapping), frogs, newts, red efts and now a
large resident catfish that my youngest son caught at a neighbor's pond
(with permission) this past summer. They thought he was taking it home to
eat, but my son chose instead to release it into our pond.

We have an assortment of birds that frequent the feeder and the farm in
general. Three years ago, as part of a homeschool project, we kept track
and added Pilated Woodpeckers (and possibly a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker--not
certain), Eastern Screech and Northern Saw-Whet Owls to the list, thanks to
a friend who works for Dept. of Forestry and gave us some assistance. My
favorite 'bird feeder' type bird is the Indigo Bunting, but we only spot
them now and then, we see the Eastern Bluebird more regularly. We found a
dead male Cardinal on the front porch yesterday afternoon, his body was
still warm and in one piece. We took a good up-close look at his feathers
before we buried him. Guess our outdoor cat was hard at work--and again
this morning when he left a chipmunk tail and some innards for us on the
mudroom porch doormat. We frequently observe Wild Turkeys but have not
witnessed Ruffed Grouse which are in the area.

We have black snakes in the barn and garden, racoons, opossum, and an
occasional red fox and skunk. A black bear has been spotted in the barn and
in the blueberries three times in four years by my husband--no one else in
our family has been privileged to see it. The first time we thought he was
telling a good story, but the bear left behind proof. Apparently, he was as
scared of my husband as my husband was of it. Bear dung (scat?) is darn
right interesting to poke through with a stick. Last year, a local Sheriff's
Deputy was invited to hunt deer on our farm, but he watched a mountain lion
track down the deer he wanted. Thankfully we haven't experienced coyote
yet, but have read stories about them in our local newspaper. One came
close to someone's house two weeks ago and took away their pet Mini-Pin
(miniature Doberman Pincher), and a local farmer's sheep were attacked by a
coyote this past summer.

The Muscovy ducks and the Border Collies are peacefully co-existing when the
ducks come by for a visit (a hand-out of bread). We also feed them laying
mash at the barn every couple days, in between they do a great job foraging
and eating bugs. We had doubts at first, but the dogs are doing a better
job herding them and protecting them than they ever did with the chickens.

Youngest son took two dozen pictures of a walking stick he found on the
garden edge last week. We also have praying mantis--always a shared find
with the whole family and like finding a real treasure when you discover
either of these insects.

We're all fortunate to have so much nature in our lives every day. It makes
me feel sorry for people that don't, and this thread has made me more
aware--and made me recall--all of the nature in our lives.

Lisa
sw VA