homestead - Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 01:02:29 -0400

Hi Lynn....we have that problem in these parts, too. I've heard it only
takes one generation for a hog to become feral. Whether or not that is
true, I don't know, but I do know that the crosses/ferals/wild boars
around here really do damage to the woods. You're right, it's a real
problem. They're probably more dangerous than any other critter in our
woods, including bears and big cats. You can't shoot them with just any
weapon, either. Bullets bounce off and it just ticks them off worse if
you don't make a perfect shot. They are not afraid of people-not afraid
of anything. About your only recourse if one catches you offguard is to
climb something sturdy as fast as you can and wait. One of my neighbors
swears that they even hunt in packs like coyotes or wolves. He says he
was up near Cohutta hunting and a bear ran past him-boogedy boogedy-then
he looked back and a boar topped the hill and was gaining on the bear.
Luckily, he was in a tree stand and neither creature saw or smelled him.
This guy can tell some tales, so I don't know if all that is true, but
I am inclined to believe him based on other stories I've heard. People
around here don't eat much boar/hog as they are usually covered in
parasites and are a pain to dress out.
I don't blame you for not walking in the woods....you be careful.

Bev

clhw wrote:

We've discovered a group of feral hogs in the area and are trying to
decide what to do about them. They are inhabiting a patch of kudzu
where the deer ordinarily graze also. We don't eat pork but there are
plenty of people around who would love to hunt these critters down
and will eat them as well.

These hogs can get really big and are a danger. One of our neighbors
heard her dogs upset about 6 months ago and went in her back yard to
investigate. She heard a noise behind her, whirled around and there
was a hog she estimated to be about 300 pounds, complete with tusks,
between herself and the house. While she was still trying to decide
what to do since she had no weapon nor a cell phone to call for help,
and she was edging toward a shed, one of the dogs rushed the hog who
turned and ran rather than fight.

Some people think these are indigenous hogs and others think they are
escapees from domestic hogs. They don't really look like either. I
think they are probably a cross from descriptions I've heard. With
these and the large cats (probably puma) reported in the area,
including about 6 reports of sightings on our property, we're a
little scared to go on long walks in the woods....