homestead - Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 23:26:56 -0700

There's lots of wild pig hunting around here and in the other No. CA counties. They do run in packs or whatever the heck you call groups of pigs. Folks that hunt them generally do so on horseback AND with at least 3 hog dogs which are some of the meanest hound crosses around. They usually use Curs, Walkers or Plotts crossed with pitbulls to use on pigs. And most of the guys hunt with 5 to 10 dogs, or more. Safety in numbers, or so they say.

When we had the butcher shop I waited for wild pig season. Most of our hunters gave us some of the meat and I love wild boar! Around here it appears that a lot of them are Duroc crosses and they are tasty!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>

Hi Lynn....we have that problem in these parts, too. I've heard it only
takes one generation for a hog to become feral. Whether or not that is
true, I don't know, but I do know that the crosses/ferals/wild boars
around here really do damage to the woods. You're right, it's a real
problem. They're probably more dangerous than any other critter in our
woods, including bears and big cats. You can't shoot them with just any
weapon, either. Bullets bounce off and it just ticks them off worse if
you don't make a perfect shot. They are not afraid of people-not afraid
of anything. About your only recourse if one catches you offguard is to
climb something sturdy as fast as you can and wait. One of my neighbors
swears that they even hunt in packs like coyotes or wolves. He says he
was up near Cohutta hunting and a bear ran past him-boogedy boogedy-then
he looked back and a boar topped the hill and was gaining on the bear.
Luckily, he was in a tree stand and neither creature saw or smelled him.
This guy can tell some tales, so I don't know if all that is true, but
I am inclined to believe him based on other stories I've heard. People
around here don't eat much boar/hog as they are usually covered in
parasites and are a pain to dress out.
I don't blame you for not walking in the woods....you be careful.