homestead - Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 21:49:19 -0500

On 10/7/06, Tracy J <tracy9j AT frontiernet.net> wrote:
When I
went to scatter my mom's ashes into Lake Superior this afternoon, we got a
great view of the annual hawk migration.

I've spent some happy time watching the spring raptor migration in
northern Michigan at the tip of Keweenaw County (it's the peninsula
that sticks way out into Lake Superior). It's the shortest route over
water to Canada, and it's amazing to watch the birds. They circle for
quite a while, maybe getting their nerve up before they go north. It's
not just hawk, but owls as well and peregrine falcons.

Locally and now, with the full moon the coyotes have been in full
song. This morning I went out to find my Anatolian looking like a
collapsed flatty. I wasn't surprised he barked half the night, and I
couldn't blame him. It sounded like dozens of coyotes -- probably no
more than 5 or 6, though we've seen bunches of 30 at some times of
year.

Deer are thick on the ground. We don't have open season until
November, so they aren't hiding yet. I take the backroads on the way
home so I can go 40 miles an hour and not get stopped for drunk
driving.

Marie

The bears are roaming around quite
a lot getting stuffed for their hibernation. The deer are eating the last
of our crabapples. Fall really is the best time of year for critter
watching. At least up here in the north country.

Tracy Julian
in East North-Central Minnesota
Where it's 72 degrees with warm, very gusty winds from the south at 9 pm.