homestead - Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today

  • From: "Wendy Gulliver" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:34:38 -0400

Lynn, you have a healthy butternut in PA? Ooohhaaahhh. I love them.
Stand them on end and whack the tip with a hammer or rock. You will get the
force right to not smash them with a little practice. MMmmmm. Better than
black walnuts. When I was little, butternuts were everywhere, but not
anymore. There was some kind of blight wiped them out about 25yrs ago and
I haven't seen one since. I was told that the blight was pretty much state
wide. Is this an old tree that possibly survived whatever wiped them out
and is therefore immune? Could you send me some to sprout?

Wendy
Columbia County PA

Hi Gene; The lot in town where we have our Farmers' Market was covered
with
butternuts (someone who seemed knowledgable told me they were
butternuts...look like oval, sticky, light green black walnuts?).
Everyone was rolling around on them and swearing at them, so I gathered
them up (sticky little buggers!) and brought them home. What do I do with
them now? Treat them like black walnuts?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA