homestead - Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Missouri Design for Conservation
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:26:53 -0700

I really don't understand this logic. I was obviously talking about individuals. If a coyote pup shows up at our door with a broken leg, who could resist helping it? But the ideology that drives these people is off the rocker. Wolves still exist aplenty in Canada and Alaska. How does not having them on this side of the border cause inherent harm to an individual wolf? These folks are talking about introducing a particular subspecies, just because once-upon-a-time New Mexico had especially lovely wolves with blue eyes, or whatever.

And Bev, let's also bring back the sabre-toothed tiger as well. There's every reason to believe that they're gone today only because of ancient hunters, and that with the modern resurgence of the buffalo, they would have an ample food supply too!

Apparently some ranchers in Moab have started a movement to re-introduce wolves to Central Park.

Lynda wrote:

Well, using that as a basis, you should be going out of your way to help the wolf <g>

I think the same ethical arguments apply as in everyday life. If I can
help some critter, without going too much out of my way to do so, then I
should.