homestead - Re: [Homestead] Consumerism

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Consumerism
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 10:09:44 -0700

Actually, the government promotes definition #2 "The theory that a progressively greater consumption of goods is economically beneficial."

The human factor is yet another definition, #3 "Attachment to materialistic values or possessions," although you frequently find folks combining 2 and 3 as though they were one and the same.

So you have government promotion of consumerism, the fairytale of capitalism being the basis for this supposed democracy, which is infact is a republic, while in reality we do not have true capitalism.

We have corporate welfare and businesses with the same mindset as some citizens -- you owe me, who cares about anyone else as long as I get mine.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

I would submit that it's not consumerism, exactly, but greed. The desire
to have more than we need... much more, and making sure that everyone can see
us having more.

There are two definitions of 'consumerism' I find in common use:

1) Protecting the consumer by enforcing product safety and honest packaging
and labeling.

2) The greatest good in life is how much and how many material goods you can
use up or claim possession to.

It is the second to which I refer. As such it is the same as your defintion
of wanting to use and possess more than we need. I might wax affective and
say 'more than will make us happy'. Consumerism is very closely akin to
materialism.