homestead - Re: [Homestead] How did you make the break?

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How did you make the break?
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:41:06 -0700

I read now that you already have the land. Out west where land is much more expensive, my advice would be not to worry that you don't have $1/4 million for a "real" farm. Here nearly every guy with a grassy acre has a couple of calves. We're in the process of putting in a large number of raised beds, enough to provide all our food if necessary, and they still only take up a small fraction of our 1.5 acre cleared area. There may not be a huge supply of firewood, and you may have to buy hay and grain, but considering that any cow part is now up to $3 a pound, it's still worth doing.

Bill
S. Oregon coast

Robert Walton wrote:

Hey all, been in lurk mode here for a while. Busy making some final improvements on my city house so it can go on the crazy real estate market here in South Florida and we can make a break to the land I have in Virginia.