homestead - Re: [Homestead] How did you make the break?

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How did you make the break?
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 20:40:58 -0700

At 5/11/2005 09:41 AM, Bill wrote:
I read now that you already have the land. Out west where land is much more expensive, my advice would be not to worry that you don't have $1/4 million for a "real" farm. Here nearly every guy with a grassy acre has a couple of calves. There may not be a huge supply of firewood, and you may have to buy hay and grain, but considering that any cow part is now up to $3 a pound, it's still worth doing.

I remember back in '75 there was a family in town (Coatai, CA in Sonoma county) that keep beef on their front lawn (lawn for lack of a better word. it was a large grass area). They had two or 3 and controlled what they grazed by having them chained to an area.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA