homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo

  • From: Lisa Perry <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:15:38 -0400

Lee Flier wrote:

Just wanted to let you know that I had been trying to reach Tvo and/or his daughter for the past month or so, since he hasn't posted here in awhile. His daughter finally answered the phone today, and she told me that Tvo passed away on March 15.

I had wondered as much. I am very sorry he has passed, I sure we'd all like to pass on our condolences. I'd love to send his family a card if that's possible. When my family drove through Giles County on 460 (coming from Floyd Co.) on our annual Memorial weekend trip to IN or another trip, I'd wave and send a mental hello. I always thought it would have been great to have met him and came close to asking a few times, but I was embarrassed by my own lack of homesteading knowledge and let my pride hold me back. I figured it was one thing to ask questions you ought to already know the answers to online, it was another to ask them in person. I knew he was busy and had health challenges and I was busy myself, so I never got up the guts to ask if I could visit. I wanted to shake his hand, thank him in person and see his farm.
It's hard to know what to say - I know Tvo lived more than most people would in 20 lifetimes, but I still feel so cheated by his loss. He still seemed like he had so much left to do and how many guys like him does one ever run into, who have such an incredible wealth of knowledge to share? Still though, it's an amazing thing that he was able to share so much with us through the Internet, and if it wasn't for that so many of us wouldn't have known him at all. Thanks, "Our Leader," for being part of our lives.

That is so true. I'm thankful for how graciously he shared his knowledge and information and to have heard his stories. And he did have some amazing stories--what a full life he had.
Lisa Perry
Floyd County, VA