homestead - Re: [Homestead] Personal Elevators

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Personal Elevators
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:30:52 -0700

Hi Pierre

Many months ago I posted about the idea of using a small water pump to change the relative weight of the counterweight. I was envisioning a simple vertical lift. If you want it to be non-electric, there are some limitations on the weight variation allowed in the elevator. If the load is always within a few pounds of the counterweight, then it would be easy to pump enough water from one side to the other by hand. You could wheel in some extra weights if necessary. Even with electricity, it may take a while to pump enough water to overcome a large weight differential. Beyond that, the most important thing is that it be as sturdy as any other construction project.

Pierre Richard wrote:

HI BILL MY NAME IS PIERRE RICHARD AND HERE IS MY PUZZLE I'M TRYING TO CONVERT
MY ADDICT TO A MASTER SUITE AND BATH ,BUT THE STAIRWAY'S PITCH IS VERY SHARP.
I HAVE 24'' X 96'' AND A TRAVEL OF 8.5FT TO PLAY WITH AND I WAS THINKING SOME
KIND OF PLATE FORM TO GO UP AND DOWN POWERED BY A WATER PUMP ? ANY IDEAS