homestead - RE: [Homestead] DIY value- was Garage door opener knowledge out there?

  • From: Rob <becidawa AT hctc.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] DIY value- was Garage door opener knowledge out there?
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:08:28 -0800

At 12/7/2004 11:45 AM, Gene wrote:

For those who may encounter a like condition, Home Depot has new Genie garage door openers for as little as $155. They will arrange installation for $99.

I found a guy through the Yellow Pages who said he would credit his $30 service call fee to the purchase/installation of a new unit, if this one is unfixable.

The homesteader in me does not like to hire someone to do anything. But my current time value credit outweighs my pride pain debit.

Nothing is free, you either spend the cash or spend your time <shrug>. I often enjoy the feeling of spending hours fixing something that a trip to town and $10 would have taken care of.... I write it off as entertainment or education.

There are other times when something has to get fixed and it's not replaceable ($$) today so taking it apart my not be the best option. My only chain saw comes to mind.. I really needed it & I could not afford to replace it but I could afford the less than $20 it took to fix it at the shop in town. I didn't learn to take a chain saw apart but when I was done I did STILL have the saw.

Every problem is different...

Rob

becidawa AT hctc.com
Now in western Washington, USA