homestead - Re: [Homestead] Going to Missouri to look at land

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Going to Missouri to look at land
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:15:53 -0700

Clint:

We're going to Missouri this next week, spending 3-4 days in South
Central Missouri attempting to get an idea of what we can buy, for how
much and what the different areas look like.
Gene, I contacted Charlie Unkie, but he has not gotten back to me,

I don't understand that. Did you call or e-mail him? Or do you mean you talked to him but he has not gotten back to you with potential properties?

so
I'll attempt to stop by and get some area information from him.
Carol and I are pretty excited, but we have yet to get a response from
anybody I sent queries out to. This time of year is especially good for
seeing property without it being obscured by vegetation. We're not
exactly ready to buy land yet, but if the perfect piece were to show up
I'd like to hope we could put a down payment and get a loan. I plan to
stop at some of the local banks, possibly decide on one to open an
account at, but I'm not quite sure how to start a loan approval
process(pre-approval?).

Local banks are typically the best source of financing in that area. There is no need to open an account. Charlie will advise you on what financing is available.

It's a long drive from Minnesota to Missouri
but the weather is supposed to be fair and it looks like Missouri is
usually about 10-15 degrees warmer, just like summer.
Any hints on how to maximize my few days there would be appreciated.

You should have appointments set with Realtors for specific days in your area of interest. Fewer Realtors will mean more efficient use of your time.

I plan to stop at some real estate places and hopefully have them send me
to some properties, drive around some of the towns to get a feel for
them, otherwise just bumble around on some lesser roads looking at the
scenery and drinking Mountain Dew, lots of Dew. We hope to see some
land situated on a creek or river, but I've only found one advertised at
this point. Most of the online MLS land has been there for months, so
either it's not selling or the site isn't being updated(more likely).

Online listings accessible by the public are only there to snare suspects, the same as with newspaper advertising. Agents often purposely leave listings online even after they have expired. I think it is outrageous and such agents should be punished, but I am not yet the national real estate emperor.

Your biggest challenge will be getting an agent to take you seriously, to spend lots of time getting you educated about the area, showing you properties, while knowing that you are not yet ready to buy. There are two ways to deal with this: you can lie to the agent--I'm sure you can figure out how I feel about that; it happens to me too often--or you can sign an exclusive buyer agreement, which ensures the agent that they will get paid someday when you buy something, so they will spend the time needed. Do not do the latter until you are convinced the agent and you are compatible and the agent is highly knowledgeable. With Charlie you will have no problem. A real estate purchase is a very big deal and buyers should use highly competent agents or expect problems, which is why I help people find good agents. There are a lot of bad ones out there.

Keep in touch.

Gene