homestead - RE: [Homestead] Garage door opener knowledge out there?

  • From: "Warren F. Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Garage door opener knowledge out there?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 17:52:43 -0500

>>Does anyone have garage door opener knowledge? I lubricated
>>the thing and
>>now the thing doesn't work. I can't see anything wrong.

Is it screw type or one that runs on a central boom? Either way, the motor
could be in a slight jam and need to be freed up manually by forcing the
door a little then trying the switch. Another thing easy to do is pull the
manual release. If that happens you normally can cycle the motor once each
direction until it re-engages the bracket from the door. Some openers have
electric eyes at either jamb that, if the beam is interrupted will cause the
door not to function. Some openers have a little reset button somewhere on
the motor, sometimes under the cover. Lastly, they have limit switches which
tell the door when to stop going up and down and one can be bound up or
defective. Other than that there's nothing that could make on just stop
working in my experience. (i.e., they don't usually just stop for no
reason). My first bet is something has disturbed the electric eyes. Ones a
light, the other a receiver, usually, and they can be bumped out of
alignment or a lubricators ladder can be blocking them.

Good luck,
Warren

---
Hey, we check all the outgoing mail and certify it Virus Free.