homestead - [Homestead] Cough syrups/drops

  • From: Lisa Perry <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Cough syrups/drops
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:35:22 -0500

Thought this might be useful to someone. Use too much of this stuff though and you'll help your friendly Dentist.
*
Basic Cough Syrup
*Teaspoon honey or corn syrup and 2 drops lemon juice (avoid honey in younger than 1 year--Botulism risk)
http://www.fpnotebook.com/LUN123.htm

*Horehound cough drop and cough syrup recipes*
http://homesteadingtoday.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-58941

<>*Mullein Cough Drops*
½ cup mullein leaves, packed
1 cup boiling water
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/938/11669

*Basic Herb Candy (Cough Drops)
*<>3 cups strong herb tea (from herbs grown in your garden--horehound included)
3 ½ pounds sugar (about 8 cups)
(I use brown sugar for the horehound drops, but white sugar would probably be better for a more delicate-tasting tea.) *

* <>Mix sugar and tea in large saucepan (use one a lot bigger than you think you'll need - the mixture foams up and could easily overflow). Boil until mixture reaches 292 degrees (be sure to make adjustments for altitude**.)
Pour into large, shallow buttered pan and let cool. Cut into pieces before it hardens all the way. You could also pull it like taffy, if you want a softer, chewier candy.

<>**Altitude adjustment**
Using a candy thermometer, see what temperature water boils at your altitude. At sea level water boils at 212 degrees. At my altitude, water boils at about 188 degrees. So I have to subtract 188 from 212 (boiling point at sea level, which is what almost all recipes use), the result is 24 degrees. Therefore as long as I live here I always need to subtract 24 from the temperature in most recipes, (which in this case is 268 degrees - 292 minus 24).
http://www.goodbyecitylife.com/home/herb-candy.htm