homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead tools

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead tools
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:10:57 -0500

Rob wrote:

Anyone else have an opinion?

I've been building a tree stand in a friend's woods for three days. Once you acquire the tools, you need a way to haul them around. You mentioned a truck and wheelbarrow. I will add a sled for winter time; cheap plastic ones work great. And for the other seasons my wife brought home a folding cart (I said, what good is that thing? It's just taking up space!) that I used to haul material and tools through the woods with. My friend called it a bag lady's cart. I took it through some pretty mucky areas and over a lot of roots and downed limbs. A wheelbarrow wouldn't have been as easy, and a big wheeled garden cart wouldn't have fit between some of the trees.

Battery power is the only way to go when in a hurry to build a tree stand two weeks before season opens. I lagged two 8' cherry 2x6s to the tree for the platform base. Did you mention how handy a good ratchet is? I started the job with a cheap one and broke it. It was Gin's; now I know what to get her for Christmas). Yesterday I replaced those small lags (only 3") with 5" and brought my good 1/2" ratchet. :)

I need a new bow saw. James, I've been paying attention to your posts about same.

Tool boxes are a must if you have tools. The first thing you should learn to build is a tool box. But I couldn't fit any of my tool boxes in the cart, so used a plastic bucket. Buckets of all shapes and sizes are cheap or free ways to stay somewhat organized.

Rob, I have been using the "same" tape measure for almost 20 years. It's a Craftsman. When it gets a nick or breaks Sears replaces it for free. My everyday carpenter tools are hammer, prybar, speed square, utility knife, chalkbox, and tape measure. They all "live" in my tool belt which hangs from a hook at the work bench. Oh, there's also a couple carpenter pencils in it and I think a couple nail sets. Hand tools used for other recent construction jobs are kept in an small open bucket under the work bench if used a lot. Right now that includes electrical tools, plumbing tools and tin snips.

I could go on and on but it's time for chores.