homestead - RE: [Homestead] Homestead tools

  • From: "Warren F. Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Homestead tools
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:19:31 -0500

>>As for taking things to job sites, I recently bought a huge
>>cross box. The
>>owner bought a small pickup and sold me his old cross box. I
>>can carry 6
>>milk crates in the box but usually only have 4 leaving an
>>empty space for
>>extension cords and air hoses.

I have an enormous cross box on the truck, too. It always has the dewalt
cordless set in there along with some more stuff. It also carries
necessities like folding chairs and water jugs for the kids soccer
tournaments. I don't like milk crates because all of them around here are
gridded instead of solid sided/bottomes, and stuff always pokes through. On
the other hand I may revisit them because they won't collect all the sawdust
and dirt that the five gallon buckets do. There are some ingenious things on
the market to turn 5-gallon buckets into useful tool caddies. If you sew or
have a s.o. or friend who does, I think a trip to lowes or homedepot would
provide some good inspiration for making these.

Don, by portable compressor do you mean one that runs off the car battery?
I've never been impressed with those but if they'll run a brad or finish
nailer I may have to look at them again. I have a small electric compressor
but a 12v compressor worth a hoot would be much more convenient.

We have begun changing over our company air tools to the "impulse" type.
They are more expensive to operate, of course, but are much more convenient
for our guys and eliminate cord and hose replacement and compressor
maintenance and replacement. A lot of our work is remodeling, too, and they
eliminate the dirt and wall/baseboard scuffs that dragging an air hose
around causes.

---
Hey, we check all the outgoing mail and certify it Virus Free.