homestead - RE: [Homestead] Homestead tools

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Homestead tools
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:22:08 -0800

On
the other hand I may revisit them because they won't collect all the sawdust
and dirt that the five gallon buckets do.

That is why I like then, little things do not collect on the bottom.

There are some ingenious things on
the market to turn 5-gallon buckets into useful tool caddies.

All my irrigation stuff is on one of those. Any time I need to fix the water lines, all I have to do is grab that and go.

Don, by portable compressor do you mean one that runs off the car battery?
I've never been impressed with those but if they'll run a brad or finish
nailer I may have to look at them again. I have a small electric compressor
but a 12v compressor worth a hoot would be much more convenient.

I mean a 1120 Volt 15 amp unit from Porter Cable. It works great for just about everything but high draw air tools like a sander.

For 12V operation the only ones that are worth while are very expensive and those are only good for tire inflation. I have a small one I picked up at a garage sale and it will inflate a tire but not much else.

We have begun changing over our company air tools to the "impulse" type.
They are more expensive to operate, of course, but are much more convenient
for our guys and eliminate cord and hose replacement and compressor
maintenance and replacement. A lot of our work is remodeling, too, and they
eliminate the dirt and wall/baseboard scuffs that dragging an air hose
around causes.

I like those but the expense is the killer for me. I do very little big stuff so most of my work is with a pin or brad nailer.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com