ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever!
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:24:25 -0700 (PDT)

>>>But on balance, you also have a better chance, due to your higher profile,
>>>of drawing a high-capacity crowd than a smaller/lesser-known
venue like Broad St. Cafe. With the higher profile comes the target on
the back, I suppose, whether fair or unfair.

Yes, that's what I have issue with - a LOT of people are talking about
x show, so we're going to dis it, as opposed to this band you've never
heard of sucks and we're going to let you know to not bother.

The other thing is, it's not like these acts are playing for free.
Many have guarantees and although I never assume there will be press
coverage (I never lobby for it) - I don't need the Indy telling people
to NOT attend a show when I'm betting my money on it. We already lose
money on more shows than I would like...and I"m pretty risk-averse to
begin with. Heck, the shows I've passed on this year due to financial
concerns could make up a full day of the Pitchfork festival.

glenn