ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever!
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:48:31 -0700 (PDT)

>>>(to dig deeper, it really makes the *most* sense when there's a chance
>>>that a lot of people who've never
seen/heard the band are gonna show up, based on hype . . . but thus
far
I don't see that level of thought going into the section)

Agreed. And I think that would even be a better section...and
acknowledging those bands that live up to the buzz.

>>>I'm sure you don't, but surely you can acknowledge that it's irrational to
>>>expect a music critic to take the financial best interests of the
clubowner into heart when deciding what to write.

By no means am I suggesting they write positive things because I have
money on the line and, as previously mentioned, I never lobby for
press for any show, no matter how much money I stand to lose. But the
point I was trying to make is that music venues, unlike other
businesses, don't just 'not make money' when people don't show up, but
can also lose money that goes to pay the bands (on top of the other
overhead that ever business has.)