ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever!
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:54:23 -0700 (PDT)

Ross, I completely agree with you for the most part, but don't
consider guarantees part of my "fixed" overhead. Heck, the goal is for
it to not be an expense at all....but when 'not-enough' people show up
for a particular show, then yes, that band ADDS to my overhead. And
that's my point, my overhead increases if 'not-enough' people show up
whereas a restaurant, etc doesn't. They may lose money by not
covering their overhead but they don't also have to pay premium on top
of that.

James, I'm definitely smart enough to know not to pay more than you
can make but it's really the midsize shows that are the biggest
gambles. Will 25 people show or 75. You need 50 to cover the costs,
so that 25 person swing is the difference in either losing money on
the band or having enough to pay your production costs on top of the
bands.