ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:35:02 -0400

Ooh, a fun game!

Let's see: REM, U2, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne . . .

On a smaller, more indie-rock level, I'm sure there must be some as well. Over on Facebook there was some discussion about those early mid-90s Palace shows . . . the '94 Coffeehouse Skynyrd-esque one, followed by the '95 one which R.Allen referred to as "Oldham and the Blowfish." But then again I'm going to the BPB show in Carrboro in May, so clearly I didn't undergo a love-to-hate transformation or anything.

However, and this gets back to the point, I've seen any number of shows that were trainwrecks, and which led me to go "eh, whatever" when asked whether I'd see that band again. You're setting up this totally false dichotomy between "yes, please" and "eh, whatever" wherein you claim that the former means "GO" and the latter means "RUN AWAY."

The reality is closer to "there are 15 or 20 shows this week, and we picked 12 that you might want to see, if you're going out anyway, and this is one of them" vs. "meh."

local506 AT gmail.com wrote:
I mean, there are
bands I've lost my luster for or perhaps went in a new direction I
didn't dig, but I can't think of any act in my entire life that I've
gone from being a fan of to having hatred for (at least, based on
their music!)