ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever!
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:08:01 -0400

If that's your problem, then that's a basic math problem, sorry to say. A remarkably *common* one, for some reason, among clubs & bookers (see also: Steckler-era Coffeehouse, that amazing period when whats-his-name was booking the Brewery, etc). Capacity x cover charge needs to >= guarantee + fixed costs + other expenses, or you're kinda in trouble.

The trickier situations Glenn was likely referring to are the ones where a full house makes money but a half-full house loses money. i.e. the daily struggle of the club owner. Or the restaurant owner. Or anybody else who owns a business with a fixed overhead component.

James Hepler wrote:
I might remember it wrong, but it seems as though Go! had exactly that
problem. I remember Of Montreal playing there. Packed house, big money
loser overall. I might have it wrong. And it's tangential. So you know...