ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:03:58 -0700 (PDT)

Firstly, I guess I view everything in the Indy section an endorsement
except for 'Eh Whatever'....and yes, I am happy that 506 shows gets as
much coverage as they do (a credit to the bands, not the club.) So
that's my first issue - the two pieces are basically identical yet
only one leads you to believe the band no longer worth seeing.

And, secondly, I also feel like an acts album and their live show are
distinct. If you don't like the album - then review it and say so (in
this case, the writer did - just for pitchfork, not the Indy!) but
don't use that as a reason to encourage people to no longer see a
band...especially a band that you had suggested they do see just a few
months ago. I really don't think their live show could have changed
that much over the holidays!?!?

The suggestion is that anytime a band makes a sub-par album, their
live show suffers. Locally, I think there are plenty of acts whose
live show is better than their recorded output. Heck, Superchunk
haven't even put out an album in seven years and some of their recent
live shows (last five years) have been some of the best I've ever
seen.