ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Robin Sinhababu <rsinhab AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever!
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:09:17 -0500

The only valid complaint I can think of about "Eh, Whatever" is that The
Airborne Toxic Event is in "Yes, Please" instead of it. What the hell,
Grayson?

James Hepler wrote:
"But Glenn still reads the section. Grayson can put up with all the
backlash that gets thrown at him because he knows this."

So if Glenn stopped reading the events calendar, Grayson would suddenly not
be able to put up with "all the backlash?" Or if you refer to people in
general continuing to read it, then I suppose that's because the section is
useful overall and contains some entertaining bits. Sounds like the paper
is doing a good job.

Glenn wrote:
"And, secondly, I also feel like an acts album and their live show are
distinct. If you don't like the album - then review it and say so (in
this case, the writer did - just for pitchfork, not the Indy!) but
don't use that as a reason to encourage people to no longer see a
band..."

Setlists are usually loaded with a band's recent album. If the new album is
full of bad songs, the show will be too.

Glenn wrote:
"In honesty, I think I would appreciate this section more if it was
more clear that they are basically critiquing bands that have some
type of buzz or national profile and instead of 'Eh Whatever' was
maybe called 'Proceed with Caution' - as in, we know you've been
hearing a lot about this band but we're not sure the hype is justified
for x reason. But, in it's current state, I think myself, many readers
and definitely the bands interpret it as you'd be better off going to
see any of the other 100 plus bands playing tonight than this show!"
"By no means am I suggesting they write positive things because I have
money on the line..."

Really? You seem to be saying it over and over again. You say the paper
shouldn't write articles that make people less likely to come to a show at
your club, unless the show already has buzz or if the paper's disapproval is
actually an endorsement ("Proceed With Caution"). What do you expect? It's
a newspaper, obligated to be truthful and preferably to inform and amuse
along the way. It's not its job to increase show attendance or otherwise
hype local music. It's one of its jobs to keep people from paying covers
for bad shows.

grady wrote:
"And U2 haven't been worth a shit since, oh, Unforgettable Fire."

One night in 2007, 96.1 played this album in its entirety with several
minutes of commentary every two tracks from (I think) Foster and the owner
of the Hibernian, or maybe one of the other Irish pubs in the Triangle.
Between the radio at Amante's and the one in my delivery vehicle, I heard
the whole thing. As Foster pointed out nearly every break, "What better way
to listen to a classic U2 album than in the company of a real Irishman?"

Robin