ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <hepstyle AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:10:31 -0400

Glenn has problems with Eh, Whatever as I do. Glenn doesn't carry the Indy
at the 506 as of the last time I checked. Glenn has cut back on
advertising. But Glenn still reads the section. Grayson can put up with
all the backlash that gets thrown at him because he knows this. So why do
we keep talking about it? Other than the fact that it helps my research
regarding the ratio of Number of people giving Grayson crap for his writing
: how many nude pics get posted by Grayson and his Type II crew.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:03 PM, <local506 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Firstly, I guess I view everything in the Indy section an endorsement
> except for 'Eh Whatever'....and yes, I am happy that 506 shows gets as
> much coverage as they do (a credit to the bands, not the club.) So
> that's my first issue - the two pieces are basically identical yet
> only one leads you to believe the band no longer worth seeing.
>
> And, secondly, I also feel like an acts album and their live show are
> distinct. If you don't like the album - then review it and say so (in
> this case, the writer did - just for pitchfork, not the Indy!) but
> don't use that as a reason to encourage people to no longer see a
> band...especially a band that you had suggested they do see just a few
> months ago. I really don't think their live show could have changed
> that much over the holidays!?!?
>
> The suggestion is that anytime a band makes a sub-par album, their
> live show suffers. Locally, I think there are plenty of acts whose
> live show is better than their recorded output. Heck, Superchunk
> haven't even put out an album in seven years and some of their recent
> live shows (last five years) have been some of the best I've ever
> seen.

Der Weg ist das Ziel