ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:41:21 -0400

I myself was more than entertained by the proposition that Philip Van Vleck might be considered, by even ONE person, to be a paragon of journalistic professionalism.

Far more surprising: He's apparently still rattling around as a freelancer for the Herald-Sun, or at least was as of last September: http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/features/columns/vanvleck/

Although it's currently unclear whether he's actually responsible for the content that runs under his name, as a quick search of that latest column reveals *no* instances of the words "axe," "lick," or "riff." No guitars are slung.

Todd Morman wrote:
I just skimmed, but Gilbert handles himself pretty well, considering the hilariously mean-spirited review he got. I enjoyed this part:

A few weeks later, I was the shocked recipient of an email from Mr Currin, and the email mentioned that he had information about "something I might be interested in". Well, I called him forthwith, thinking that maybe he was compiling a CD of the Triangle's worst local music, maybe calling it "Currin's Crap" or "Your Music Sucks" and marketing it as some ironic alternative to the golden standard that has been set by other, more worthy local acts. Maybe he needed my signature on some release form. But alas, it was only an attempt to glean whether or not I was, in fact, posting on this thread under an alias. Because, really, who in their right mind would have such nasty things to say to a rock critic from the local entertainment paper unless they themselves were a total fraud?
<<<

todd worth your 20 minutes right there morman