ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:24:05 -0400

Yeah, but Glenn, your logic, such as it is, is illogical.

I don't necessarily report/record every show, but I have *three* listings for Bishop Allen in 2007, but only the November show in 2008. So in October 2008, unless they had caught BA at a show I didn't list (or one in another city), the Indy's writers were basing *that* endorsement, *not* on current information, but rather on either a show or an album from fully one year beforehand (since, according to Allmusic, they didn't release anything in 2008, either).

Have you considered, then, that either

(a) they didn't attend the November 2008 Bishop Allen show, and thus this time around they had to revise their opinions based on the latest input they had, namely a 2009 album that they didn't like very much, or

(b) they *did* attend the November 2008 show and perhaps didn't enjoy it, the band's live show having perhaps changed a great deal (for the worse) since 2007?

Either way, can you not conceive of a universe in which they might have slapped forehead (either the day after that November show, or the day the new album came out) and said "holy crap, I can't believe we encouraged people to attend that show in November! I won't make that mistake a second time!"?

I know, I know, logic is irrelevant here, because the bee has been in your bonnet for far too long at this point. But I think it makes more sense for you to just stick to the simpler argument that you've also made, namely that negative previews are unnecessary at best, and majorly counter-productive at worst.

Unless we're talking about some mega-buzz band who've NEVER played locally, but whom the Indy's writers have seen out of town, and know to be Teh SuX0Rz. And since everybody who saw Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist have seen at least a few moments of Bishop Allen, we know that they don't fit that description.

local506 AT gmail.com wrote:

And, secondly, I also feel like an acts album and their live show are
distinct. If you don't like the album - then review it and say so (in
this case, the writer did - just for pitchfork, not the Indy!) but
don't use that as a reason to encourage people to no longer see a
band...especially a band that you had suggested they do see just a few
months ago. I really don't think their live show could have changed
that much over the holidays!?!?