ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever!
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:44:43 -0400

I don't get it. The Bishop Allen piece you quote here clearly states that the writer used to find them palatable (i.e. back in October when the earlier piece you linked was written) until the release of the new album, Grr (whose street date was this past Tuesday). Where's the inconsistency?

Also, the Clem Snide bit was from the "vs" section, which I've always read as being *not* as much of an endorsement as "Yes Please," and more variable, depending on which bands were chosen.

I dunno, I'm just glad that in this economy they have a whole freaking page to devote to this week's shows. Aren't you?

Ross

local506 AT gmail.com wrote:
Here are two lines from this week's Indy - see if you can guess which
act you're encouraged to see and which you are supposed to avoid:

Brooklyn's Bishop Allen pushes at the border of sugar, jangle and twee pop in
a way that was palatable until this year's Grrr..., a record of solipsistic
whining so musically safe you'd think it comes in a condom wrapper

Though Chapel Hill's only the second stop on the Hungry Bird tour, here's hoping
Barzelay & Co. spend time mining the back catalog's roots-pop gems.
Otherwise, it could be a long night.

Now, see if you guessed the act that just a few months ago, you were
encouraged to go see by the same writer:

http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A267965#yes

I'm not sure what is more pathetic, the inconsistencies of the Indy's
music section...or me taking the time to point them
out...again...glenn

For more, check out:

http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A272687&cb=e5f4da9b422da6ee3ca18a8dea3da28d#comments