ch-scene - Re: Off topic talk of..How'd my man do?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: sorren AT mindspring.com
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Off topic talk of..How'd my man do?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:02:56 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

>> A free man should be made to pay for the harm he causes to other people
>> (and their property), but otherwise should be left alone. Paying fines
>> and going to jail are not things that peaceful honest people should have
>> to do.
>
>How is a free man "made to pay" if not through a fine? In acknowledging
>someone should be "made to pay", you seem to be saying that,
>unfortunately, some degree of coercion is necessary for a society to
>function. I agree with that, as much as I would like not to. If people
>just wouldn't do bad things to other people we could all be anarchists.

Ok, I know this isn't my fight, and I actually agree with both parties on
their respective points,
so I am only here to say that it seems like Person A might be saying that too
many things peaceful
honest people do -- or might *like* to do (like own unregistered handguns
they never shoot at
other people or use to rob them) -- are against the law. That maybe fewer of
the harmless things
that normal people like to be able to do (have sex before marriage anyone?)
ought to be cause for
getting fined or going to jail. It *could* be a free country, which would be
nice.

On the other hand, like Person B, I say if you hit someone's car in the
parking lot (or otherwise harm
someone else) then PAY PAY PAY, MotherFucker!

Rachel