ch-scene - Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bo Williams <bo AT mrboboto.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:41:10 -0400

For context:

The "Why Best Buy Sucks" thread

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&threadm=Pine.A41.3.95.961217092609.32192A-100000%40login2.isis.unc.edu&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dbest%2Bbuy%2Bbo%2Balt.music.chapel-hill%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26c2coff%3D1%26safe%3Doff%26selm%3DPine.A41.3.95.961217092609.32192A-100000%2540login2.isis.unc.edu%26rnum%3D3

Man, I was such a little polemic back then! Now I'm soft and squishy.

Bo

grady wrote:

I actually wasn't making a stink, just tweaking Hepler, which is sort of de rigeur around here anyway.

However, I have to say that if you got it for under $10, then you were paying very little over wholesale, and it's maybe a tiny bit hypocritical for you to post a really long post admonishing local clubgoers to be willing to pay more at the door of your club, *and* pleading with them to occasionally drink something other than PBR, and then turn around & say "it's hard to continually over-pay to support the underdog."

I mean, I can't believe you charge $1.50 or $2 for PBR when I can get that shit for fifty cents at the Teeter, and keep it in my car, and slip out the door between bands and drink outside. How much longer do you expect me to pay your ridiculous music-industry markups?

xo

Ross

p.s. don't shell out for the PJ Harvey without listening to it first - "best album from her in a while" still doesn't mean it comes anywhere near "Rid of Me."

Local 506 wrote:

But more importantly, I wanted to mention where I bought the disc,
since Ross made a stink about it. I bought it at Best Buy for under
$10, along with 3 other albums I wouldn't have bought except for the
fact that they were also under ten dollars (Franz Ferdinand, Modest
Mouse, Coheed and Cambria.)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - when music falls below
the ten dollar mark, it becomes an impulse purchase. I can easily
think of three records I'd rather have than the three above (PJ
Harvey, Mission of Burma, AC Newman come to mind) - yet, there's
something compelling about spending less.

Nothing against CD Alley or any of the other indy shops, but
eventually price does matter...and the music industry as a whole will
need to address this, because it's hard to continually over-pay to
support the underdog.

glenn