ch-scene - Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: paok <bluefreaky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:50:30 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I doubt the music industry as a whole has any interest in dealing with this
issue. Do you really think a big label cares whether or not a place like
Best Buy or wal-fart is undercutting the little guy?

If you want a cd for under $10, get it used. Yes, you may not be able to get
exactly what you want when you want it (but then, you said yourself that
'spree was't what you actually wanted), but you'll find lots of fun surprises
in the used bins. I not-so-recently found Adult's "anxiety" and Ghost's
"Hypnotic Underworld" at cd alley.

I must note, like ross did, that it's a little odd that you're piping in
about over-paying the underdog when you're asking us to pay more for
cover/beers yourself. There are connections, obviously, between small
independent record stores and local music, and I suspect the fates of each
are somewhat woven together.

phaedra

Nothing against CD Alley or any of the other indy shops, but
eventually price does matter...and the music industry as a whole will
need to address this, because it's hard to continually over-pay to
support the underdog.

glenn