ch-scene - Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:24:12 -0400

I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed in it (the new Spree, which I got at CD Alley ;-)). I think it's a combination of the new songs being more complex lyrically & thus involving longer sections of just Tim singing, and the "improved" quality of the recording making the thing feel much more like a lush studio production (which we're all so used to hearing that it's unremarkable) and less like an actual huge group of people getting together all at once to sing & play.

The amazing & weird thing about the first album for me was the simple repetitive nature of the songs & the distinct sense that a lot of people were singing them together in the same room.

Factor in the overt references to the "new religion" and I'm left more uneasy than moved.

That Candi Staton reissue, on the other hand--Holy jeebus, that thing rules.

xo

Ross

James Hepler wrote:
--- paok <bluefreaky AT earthlink.net> wrote:

i think i'm just really tired, and therefore
emotional, but has anyone listened to the new
polyphonic spree? the fourth song (two thousand
places) just made me almost cry, maybe tears of joy,
but i'm not entirely sure....

Oddly, they didn't have it at the new record store in
Durham, which I call Millennium Jr. God I love CD Alley.