ch-scene - Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT earthlink.net (Local 506)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")
  • Date: 22 Jul 2004 00:09:14 -0700

> I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed in it (the new Spree, which I
> got at CD Alley ;-)).

I, too, am somewhat disappointed with the new Polyphonic Spree album,
although I've only listened once...and the song in question -
"2000 Years" (?!?! - sorry, the actually title would require me either
re-reading the original post or digging up the actual CD - neither of
which would be easy) was one of the highlights of last years cradle
show. The first album was pure genius to these ears, so I have high
hopes with additional listening...

But more importantly, I wanted to mention where I bought the disc,
since Ross made a stink about it. I bought it at Best Buy for under
$10, along with 3 other albums I wouldn't have bought except for the
fact that they were also under ten dollars (Franz Ferdinand, Modest
Mouse, Coheed and Cambria.)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - when music falls below
the ten dollar mark, it becomes an impulse purchase. I can easily
think of three records I'd rather have than the three above (PJ
Harvey, Mission of Burma, AC Newman come to mind) - yet, there's
something compelling about spending less.

Nothing against CD Alley or any of the other indy shops, but
eventually price does matter...and the music industry as a whole will
need to address this, because it's hard to continually over-pay to
support the underdog.

glenn