baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 07:50:54 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> > I can get it to work at sdf:
> > (1) on local xterm do: xhost +sdf.lonestar.org

> First I started x (complete with wm and rxvt).

Fine.

> Does the xhost method let you run X programs on
> another computer but first you start the window
> manager on your computer?

xhost is simply a method of allowing the remote system
to access your local display. The -ac parameter of
Xvesa does the same thing (equivalent to xhost +).

> > (2) at sdf do: export DISPLAY=???.???.???.???:0
> > (3) at sdf do: xterm
>
> xterm & (so I can type something after that)

There is no need for the &. All subsequent commands
can be entered at the xterm.

> > (4) on sdf xterm do: ls -a /usr/pkg/X11R6/bin/

> When I type ls at sdf I get a list on the terminal
> where I am connected to sdf (with dbclient)

That's because you are typing the ls command on the
terminal screen. You are meant to wait for the xterm
to appear and type the command there.

> No additional xterm appears on my X.

How long did you wait? It takes sdf around ten seconds
to get the remote xterm to your local screen. Once
you've got the remote xterm running, the things you run
in that xterm are quite quick. xeyes works quite well
and links (run in the xterm) seems quicker than the
same links run from the terminal.

> When I type cd /usr/pkg/ on my rxvt there is no such
> directory.

You type it in the xterm screen sent to you by sdf.

> It is definetly not an sdf xterm.
> What step did I miss or do wrong?

I assume you are logging into sdf from the local rxvt
screen. You should bring up X first locally and stay
in X for all the steps above (using rxvt to enter the
commands).

> You can compile or otherwise add programs at sdf.

I would love to have an X-enabled version of links at
sdf. When I run the sdf version of links with the -g
parameter it says that it was compiled without graphics.

By the way, I tried the above method on cjb and it works
there too; however, for some reason, remote X from cjb
works at a snail's pace. Very, very slow. Too slow to
be useable.