baslinux - [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 00:07:07 +0000 (UTC)

Steven, please help!

I have not yet tried using BL to connect to cjb, as X-terminal.
It should be an excellent way to run graphical programs on a very old
laptop, without compiling or installing them, via dialup. The really old
laptop screens are very slow.

Sindi Keesan

Two problems

This laptop works with xfbdev not Xvesa. Instead of startxt
on the client (exec Xvesa -screen $1 -$2 -ac) I typed

exec xfbdev -ac

X appears on the laptop (client, X-terminal) but when I switch terminals and then back to the X terminal, the computer freezes up and I need to turn it off. I can try NOT switching terminals, or use a laptop that supports Xvesa. (This Toshiba won't even work with any standard X server in Puppy, Savage MX).

Second, I don't know what IP address to export to when I use dialup connection rather than running an ethernet (or serial or parallel) cable between two computers or using broadband via ethernet.

On the server I am supposed to next

export DISPLAY=192.168.X.X:0
icewm &
(or whatever wm is available at cjb.net)

And then I think I can just run programs as if I were on the server computer.

Netstat lists dialup-4.229.21.1:32768 (when I am connected to sdf via dbclient) and ....32769 for cfb. Do I fill in one of these numbers between DISPLAY= and :0?

I was able to use a Compaq 486 laptop with 8-bit color as X-terminal via ethernet cable to a desktop, and I think Opera displayed on it though it won't run in 256 colors directly. I have two more 8-bit Compaq laptops to find a use for.

It was easy to get a shell account at http://www.cjb.net
FreeBSD.