baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 15:07:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 7 May 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I don't know what IP address to export to when I use
dialup connection rather than running an ethernet

On the server I am supposed to next

export DISPLAY=192.168.X.X:0

While you are connected via dialup, execute:
--------
ifconfig
--------
You should see a block of information labled ppp0.
On the second line of this block, you should see
inet addr. That is your local address. To export
an X display from a remote server to your local
screen, put that local address in your export DISPLAY
command (which you enter on the remote server).

I used the number 4.229.21.151 (or 156 on the next dialin)

On laptop:
exec xfbdev -ac
Grey screen with an X.

Switch to vt2 (Alt-F2)

dbclient to cjb, log in

installhome jwm (also installs dependencies)
They have twm and icewm and gnome too.

export DISPLAY=4.229.21.151:0
jwm &

Switch back to X (Ctl-Alt-F5)
Grey screen without an X, cannot switch terminals or
even reboot with Ctrl-Alt-Del, had to power off.

Steven, can you get your elegantly simple method to work at cjb? I could ask for a second account that bl members could experiment with, or you could get one. I think you just request it and get back an email to confirm from.

Other methods involving installing xhost on local or xdm on remote computer, or NFS.

xhost +(IP number of remote computer)
At remote computer, export DISPLAY to my computer.

CJB has abiword but I think not openoffice. xpdf xv snake xzgv but not zgv or svp (I know of know way to export svgalib display) links2 with about 20 X library dependencies. midori, epiphany, konqueror.

gnome and kde

Can't figure out if they have gtk2 or libqt. find does not work in BSD.

No magicpoint or firefox.

They have pilot-link. Can it be used when the PDA is plugged into the local computer?