baslinux - Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Need help with BL as x-terminal via dialup Re: free shell account with mutt and text browsers
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 09:59:52 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> This time I waited longer. 16 sec for the rxvt to appear.

Yes, it takes a very long time to appear. But once
it is there, response times are good.

> >> You can compile or otherwise add programs at sdf.
> (I think you need to pay for a membership first to compile).

Are you a member?

> Does links graphical work more slowly via cjb than via dialup?

It is ridiculously slow. It puts up only a few letters
at a time, then pauses, then a few more letters, then
pauses. Painful. The slowest I've seen an application
run since I experimented running Linux from a floppy
disk filesystem (no HD, no ramdisk).

> I will look for a shell account with a faster internet
> connection and graphical browsers.

Let me know if you find one. Or if you find a version
of links -g that will run on sdf.

> Can I export an rxvt from both sdf and cjb to here at
> the same time?

That should be possible. But I'd forget about remote X
from cjb -- it's too slow to use.